Campaign finance laws are not very forgiving. Candidates are not allowed to put their hands “in the cookie jar”. Every red cent has to be accounted for to the Finance and Ethics Commission of the State of Georgia for State level and lower seats. I know, you hear about somebody from time to time that couldn’t resist and ‘dipped’ in, but I’ll tell you right now, you’re asking for trouble if you try it. It is a testament to the system that so FEW are found to be guilty of misappropriating funds. If you want to get an idea of just how MUCH money we’re talking about, you can access lists of donors, amounts given, who they gave the money to, when, which party, and other information at opensecrets.org. (Little tip: set a timer or you’ll get lost in there and never come up for air!)
What can your money go towards?
- Yard signs – these things have to be paid for in advance. Prices vary according to sizes, #colors used, type, stands. In general, for 1,000 signs, it will cost around $3400. It won’t go much lower for more signs from that point.
- Literature to hand out – depends on exactly what it is, of course, but you can expect to spend $250 very fast.
- Swag (pens, buttons, plastic glasses)-these can be purchased for $1.50 each/500 pieces to $.0.35 each/1000 pieces. That translates to $625 and $350. No, I’m not joking. My calculator does not lie.
- Snacks for volunteers who go out canvassing, writing post cards, or doing other things.
- Other expenses like postage, post office box, supplies
It mounts up faster than you can imagine and keeping these expenses under control is unbelievably hard. That’s why I have to come to you with these pleas for contributions.
If you can make a contribution on a monthly basis, that would really help because it would give me a ‘cushion’ of knowing something would be coming in later. I do not have any “large donors”. This is all grassroots support. I need YOUR help in order to do this.
We have just a little over two months until the election. Will you help me?
Please share to your friends, family, and extended circles. I need all the exposure I can get. You might not be able to vote for me because you do not live in the District 29, but donations are not limited to that area. If you believe in my campaign and who I am, that’s enough. And thank you so much.
Emily’s list for being Pro-Choice
Moms Demand Action for advocating for sensible gun control