Stop what you are doing. Sit down and collect yourself.
Because I have the advantage of nearly six decades and I can tell you that none of this is going to change in the next week or so. It took quite a few years to get here and it might take quite a few years to fix. So let’s just breathe for a few minutes.
Do I “like” the SCOTUS ruling on Dobbs? No, absolutely not. It’s going to kill people quite literally. But getting riled up and chasing around is not going to change anything as much as I would like for it to. Calling Justice Thomas “Uncle Clarence” is racist and demeaning, and, while I think he is dead wrong on this, it was Justice SAM ALITO who laid the framework for this. Thomas just wrote the opinion. Being like “them” doesn’t help anything.
Now then, where do we go from here? Are we calm enough to think and plan?
- We get our butts working and we get folks out to vote in astronomical numbers. It’s the one thing that the GOP cannot argue with. Oh, they can and will scream about “rigged” elections, stolen elections, and all that, but when the rubber hits the road? When we have poll watchers and they have poll watchers, and everybody has a video to watch, nobody can say the elections are fraudulent.
- Get and keep people engaged in community-level government. We have to have people at the school board, election board, board of commissioners, tax assessors, city hall budget, zoning boards, and anything else meetings. Why? Because if you aren’t in there, you don’t know what they are doing. They will, eventually, start putting things in their own pockets or start giving contracts to friends or family. Why not? Nobody is watching.
- Defend our leaders and do it with facts. Just getting huffy with people when they talk about “Sleepy Joe” doesn’t help. But laying a list of facts on them will shut them up faster than anything and they will have no comeback. Example: Biden’s administration got over 200 million doses of COVID vaccine out in record time AND delivered the vaccine to other countries and that was despite widespread pushback from conservatives about the efficacy and effectiveness of the vaccines. They also delivered on Infrastructure with $BILLIONS going out across the country which is already being spent. http://usaspending.gov to find how it is being spent around you. Lots more, but that will get you started.
- Don’t allow the turkeys to talk you down. They are turkeys. Remember that you have truth and justice on your side. They can be mean and quite tacky. Some are cruel. I will either act as though they aren’t there or like they are my best friends and I’m so glad to see them. They get frustrated at either approach because they want me mad.
- Make the midterms a one or two issue election. Translated: Vote every single pro-life and/or pro-gun bastard out of office. I’m not even picky about whether they are Republican or Democrat. Just gone is fine.
- Codify Roe. Call your Senators and Congressional representatives and tell them to pass the legislation NOW. Make it FEDERAL LAW. IF you can’t do that, then lean on the State people HARD. We got the gun control stuff. We can do this.
- Influence the influencers. These are the people who pay the lobbyists who have the ears of the Congress. They are the people YOU buy your goods and services from. Famous people, wealthy people, business owners, and stockholders of big companies are all influencers. Write letters and be vocal. You can do it.
Take that rage and use the energy wisely. Making signs and protesting is great for the media cameras, but on the whole? Not all that effective. Let’s do some things that will make a difference in the long term. See you out there.